Friday, March 15, 2024

Somebunny new

Hi there!


(I keep wanting to reach out and pick that bit of lint off his muzzle.)

As mentioned in my last post that I might, I made a partial prototype of a bunny pattern I have. I wanted to make sure the 8mm beads used for his eyeballs (left over from Mom's January walker banner and sewn on with carpet thread) would withstand severe treatment, so as soon as I could I threw proto-bun into my washer and dryer. The results:

Before

After

He's a trooper! (His arms didn't fall off--they hadn't been made and attached yet.)

I'm using this to stuff him.

The lab where I used to work received machine replacement parts shipped in foam slabs of all shapes and sizes. I brought them home whenever I could salvage them. Years ago my mother had made a pillow for my father, filled with cut-up pieces of foam like this, and he claimed it was the most comfortable pillow he ever slept on. I tried making one for myself but wasn't impressed enough with the results to keep going. This has been hanging around my studio for years (usually as a seat cushion), and I'm happy to be using it for something else. Bunny used roughly half of this, but there's plenty more to cut up.

Here's my stash of bunny-making corduroy/denim fabrics, shown with the initial pattern pinning. In my mind, a bunny was going to take much more fabric than it really does. This layout covers roughly two FQs'-worth of fabric.

Legs and arms need to be placed twice (4 pieces cut) and there are a couple of single-layer pieces to add/cut as well.

Discounting the purple at the top (which will probably be turned into bunny overalls), I have enough here to make a whopping warren of wabbits. I also have a stash of non-cotton fabrics I'd bought to make myself some blouses and vests (back when I cared what I wore), which will be used to dress all the boy-buns and girl-buns I'll be churning out.

6 comments:

  1. The last time I made anything that needed stuffing was prepandemic, I've replaced my pillows at least twice since then so I have stuffing galore. What a pity you don't live nearer. You could add an applique heart (before assembly) and a big floppy bow (sewn in place) and it would be dressed without making clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is a-whirl! What wonderful ideas!!

      The pattern comes with tissues for 6 dresses (and a blouse, and pantaloons) so I'm looking forward to using up some dressmaking scraps with those (and blue jean scraps for boys' overalls--the pantaloons can be tweaked). But for sheer rapidity, you can't beat a heart and a bow (and a smile: "You're never fully dressed without a smile.")

      I love the ideas you bring to the table,

      C

      Delete
  2. He is too darn cute! I haven't made stuffed animals in years... but I have a really simple bunny pattern I might have to search for one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. A simple pattern was what I was hoping to find, but that's not the kind I bought decades ago. As it was, I pulled this from a pile of unused patterns I'd been thinking of offering on ebay. Glad to be putting it to use at long last!

      Delete
  3. Floppy-eared bunnies! Glad the stuffing held up in the wash. When we lived in Maine I bought a ginormous bag of stuffing from BoSal Foam (back when it was a warehouse for overstock upholstery fabric and supplies). I hauled that bag to North Dakota and then to Illinois, using a little to stuff this and then to stuff that. I used the last of it, finally, in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike favorite fabrics, I'll bet you NEVER thought, "I wish I had bought more of this!"

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...