Tuesday, March 12, 2024

A finish

This was pulled from the dryer yesterday morning and hung on our side fence this morning for its photo op (Thing 2 is in Columbia at the moment, unavailable for display purposes):

"front" ~ 72" x 90"

"back" (also ~ 72" x 90")

 

Silly me thought this would be plenty of fabric:


In reality, that was enough for nearly all the triangles (a pink bandana was cut up for the final two needed). For the strings I ended up using 15 more white/pink/red fabrics from my stash, as well as 4 more from the "Take and USE" Community First! Quilters' stash.

I sewed the strings, connecting strips, and binding down with this nice pink-to-red variegated thread I had on hand:

"Plum Berry"


I'm adding a mental note here in case another one of these is in my future: the bobbin thread for the joining strips needs to be something you won't mind accidentally seeing (if the second/fold-over strip doesn't quite cover the stitching).

After getting Heart You photographed (and back in the dryer because it was foggy and almost misting outside), I got started basting the Disappearing 9-patch.


It took a couple of attempts to get everything lined up. The first time, I didn't have the backing straight so it was skewed just enough to be short at two corners. Since only 16 blocks had been pinned when I discovered this, I was okay with unpinning my work and doing it correctly the second time around.

After this is basted, I may play around with another NQR sewing project that has piqued the interest of the CF! Quilters: making stuffed animals. Apparently those sell out almost immediately at the Community First! market events. I have a bunny pattern and an enormous stash of small-wale corduroy (and some white denim), as well as some eggshell foam that's been cut into small pieces. I'm thinking of making a prototype with that and throwing it in the washer/dryer to see what happens. If it's a winning combo, that's a LOT of real estate that could be freed up in my studio!

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the bunnies, it sounds like an ideal project for the corduroy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so annoying when the backing or batting end up short at one corner. I tape a button in the center of the table. It's bumpy enough that I can center the layers. Stuffed animals? Now you'll need to lay in a stock of fiberfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of cocktail-sized toothpicks that are crossed over each other and taped together. I stick that to the center of the table and it generally keeps everything true. What I hadn't done this time was secure the backing with its seam lines parallel to the table's edges. I'd only planned an extra 3" for the backing, and came up a bit short even with that, so I couldn't afford to be sloppy or cavalier about lining up everything.

      Hoping the cut up foam pieces will be a good substitute for the fiber fill, because I seem to have collected a never-ending supply of foam slabs.

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...