Monday, January 1, 2024

January's banner

As a final flourish to a year-long project, it ended right on schedule. I finished this before my regular departure time, and was very happy to have it on her banner on the first day of this new year.

line 1: (Brl = Braille) / line 2: Lit- / line 3: (er)acy / line 4: Mon(th)

This is how it looks 'in the wild':

It was my intent that the braille dots/beads could be read, or at least noticed, from across a room, and I believe I succeeded (thanks, Pam!)

I'm a certified braillist, and although it's been decades since I've used this hard-earned skill to transcribe, I still like to read braille signs and make sure they're correct. As a previous chorus member pointed out, it's a very solitary hobby. My mother's sister sparked my interest in this language when I was a very young girl, maybe 5 or 6? She sent me a 3x5 card on which the braille code was punched (her son was blind), and it intrigued me to no end. It led to a fascination with Helen Keller, braille, and sign language, learning both languages over the years with varying degrees of success. (Some would argue that braille isn't a language, but it's got so many shortcuts and condensed symbols that it could be considered a secret language to those unfamiliar with it!)

I've really enjoyed infusing these monthly banners with my own interests, but overall I'm so very glad this project is over!

5 comments:

  1. The Braille makes a fun puzzle for the walker bag. (I have a DIMH (design in my head) for using Braille and Morse Code and other "alphabets.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now ideas are buzzing about in my head too! A square in a square (black center) would be a perfect depiction of a braille dot!

      C

      Delete
  2. Semaphore? We learned it in brownies and needless to say, none of it has stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did look at weaving a QR code once but something else came along before I started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you had said something along the lines of you hadn't anything important enough to say to warrant the effort. This was in my post about attempting to knit a QR code (it didn't scan).

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...