Monday, February 26, 2024

Disappearing 9-patch, revisited

After evaluating and reorganizing my flimsies, it was the small (50" x 60") Disappearing 9-patch top that lodged itself into my brain's Make It Work compartment.


With 8-1/2" finished blocks and factoring in the existing 4" border, my armchair calculations (literally) indicated an 8x10 layout would result in a 76"x93" flimsy. Eighty blocks total, of which 30 were already made. Was I game to make 50 more? 

Yah, you betcha! I never tire of making 9-patches.

3.5" squares

I immediately thought of the border fabrics I was intending to remove from Bright Hopes, so I went ahead and did that so I could use those fabrics for two of the 9-patches.

Partway through the process:

I created a 6x3 piece to expand this from 6x5 to 6x8, then sewed together the final blocks into a 4x8 section for the final attachment/expansion (8x10 total). 

There was plenty of the border fabric, as I had created a backing for the original flimsy from the same fabric. It was no problem to extend the borders to the new size. I kept all the corners because they're so cute!


The resulting flimsy is on the rack, awaiting its turn for sandwiching and quilting. I'll need to piece a new backing for it now, but there's still a big hunk of the border fabric left. I'll cobble something together when the time comes.

4 comments:

  1. Those dancing D4Ps are playing with my halfway-done cataract vision. That's a lively border print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that the blocks seem to slant slightly (optical illusion) isn't helping your eyes make sense of things either, I'm sure!

      I think of the border print as an apothecary, but it's really various herbs being infused in oils and other liquids.

      C

      Delete
  2. I've three big seams left on a disappearing nine patch but I had to squint a bit to see that it was the same setting. Mine comes from camp Cobble It Together and is most certainly a back whereas yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pattern seems to defy immediate identification of parts and how they go together. Multiple times, while trying to measure the finished block, I'd come up short because I'd miss an entire section despite the fact that I was looking at the same fabric! It's a mind-bender, that's for sure.

      I'm wondering what would happen to other standard blocks given this treatment (cut block into 1/4s, give a 180 turn to half of resulting squares). Churn dash? Log cabin? A wad of 40 casually-measured/made log cabin blocks came home with me this past weekend--what would happen if I "disappeared" them?

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...