Friday, February 23, 2024

A finish, and more

I haven't blogged in over a week, but I've been plenty busy! Thing 2 got home today after 9 days away, so the first thing I had him do, once we were both awake, was hold my most recent finish, Sunburst:

70" x 85"
This is the last of the N1C tops. I started it in June 2018, but getting involved with Community First! Quilters really pushed it across the finish line.

The pieced back I blogged about:


It's not spectacular by any means, but I like how my fabrics on hand could extend this heavily-patterned yardage with a minimum of fuss and bother, and let it shine.

For quilting, I let twisted ribbons (yellow AURIfil) showcase and extend the rays of the "sun" into the neutral blocks surrounding the star.

The rest of the string blocks were quilted in Happy Clouds using King Tut "Gemstones" (teal, purple, burgundy, green).

For the border I chose the Munnich design Chili Pepper Meander, for obvious reasons, also in the AURIfil yellow.

Through it all I used the YLI "Harvest" on the back, as its varying hues of reds blended so well (on most of it).

For binding I pulled out a couple of odd FQs, odd in that they didn't match anything else in my binding stash, and couldn't completely bind a quilt all by themselves. They'd have to play nicely together.

The yellow piece was a looser weave than your standard quilting cotton, and the gray felt like working with tie silk. I didn't do a burn test (why bother on a N1C quilt?) The wonky cut of the gray piece is one more reason I like to use stripes (in both directions) in binding--who'd ever see how badly this was originally cut when it's used on the bias?

As an aside, I didn't bother to iron the finished length of binding in half, and that step was never missed when it came time to sew it down (initially and to finish). More time saved!

But now for the "... and more". 

 

Or maybe not.

 

It's late and I'm tired, so this'll be a cliffhanger for now.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't noticed that the binding was two fabrics, the colours are exactly right for the border and my brain just went with "it matches".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the string star is terrific! So's the backing. I quit pressing binding in half years and years ago. Maybe I've gained a whole three hours? LOL. How much more N1C do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my last intentional N1C top and I have no more collected for someday quilts. Now N1C fabrics sneak in with other people's unfinished projects, for which I'm becoming a way-station on their journey to becoming donation quilts.

      There were several gasps when it was held up at the CF!Quilters' meeting on Saturday.

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...