Wednesday, February 28, 2024

I Heart You

As I move one or two Community First! projects to the flimsy stage (or better yet, to completion), I like to create a kiddie top for Sleep in Heavenly Peace. After the previous haul of novelty fabrics, I felt there were finally enough heart fabrics to create a top.

I also had some thin corduroy that was too stained to use as a backing, so years ago I had cut it into 9.5" squares to use in QAYG blocks. I'd only need 80 of them, so I could pick out any badly-stained blocks and use them for dusting furniture.

While ironing the accompanying baggie of scraps . . .

. . . I started noticing something I'd seen while sorting the other scraps from that 12-box donation: a hexagon had been cut from each piece.
 

I had seen this in the harvest scraps as well, and I suspect somewhere there's an adorable hexie top made of pieces from all the garments Gramma made her granddaughter(s).

4 comments:

  1. My group gets upset about oddly shaped fabric so I keep quiet about my own novelties that have had hexagons cut from them or even (horror) have circular holes. Unless I die in the night, they don't need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would drive my mother crazy when we'd ask for some fabric for a project, then cut a piece out of it from the very center (kids!)

      C

      Delete
  2. Scrap-quilting forensics! I've had vintage prints cut out as garment pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognize garment-cutting remains from years of creating them (the garments AND the remains) myself. Since I enjoy making scrappy tops, I'm usually able to cut nearly every square inch of the weirdly-shaped donations into sizes and shapes that I use most. It's not unlike deconstructing a shirt for use in a quilt--lots of strange angles and curves to those pieces too.

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...