Friday, February 9, 2024

Racking 'em up

For many years, due mainly to being away from my home for 2 months out of 3, most of my flimsies were hung 2- and 3-deep on seven over-burdened dowels.


As mentioned recently, most of the N1Cs had been finished and donated, the last one was the project at hand, and thus was exposed this Bright Hopes flimsy

which I put in this box

for Size Reduction Treatment. I then took some time to take a closer look at what was left on my storage rack.

I completely emptied all the remaining dowels and started measuring and reacquainting myself with what had essentially been deep/high storage. From the top dowel down:

  1. Wonky Stars and backing
  2. I Spy | Irish Chain
  3. Disappearing 9-Patch (never blogged about!) with extra border/backing fabric
  4. Leader-Ender Challenge Jewel Box Stars

The wonky stars flimsy will have to remain the size it is (54"x66"), as I have no more LabCoat Blue fabric to make more of the filler blocks.

Still, it's within the parameters for a throw, so perhaps I'll consider that. Put aside for rehanging.

The I Spy was always going to be a baby quilt or wall-hanging, so that piece was just waiting its turn. Rehang.

The Irish Chain was just too shy of Twin (70"x86"), so to it I pinned some thoughts about extending the top&bottom borders by one more row and queued it up for rehanging as well.

The Disappearing 9-Patch was created from the remaining 28 blocks of a block exchange performed in the last century with my former bee. I did a rough accounting once and I think I started out with 68 blocks. I'd been using them up in quilts (and as mug rugs)

over the decades, and in 2018 during the Magpie "Maine Pinetree Piefest", was finally cleaning out the last of them.

Celia, Janet, Jean, me, Nann, Ellie

When the borders were included, the flimsy ended up measuring 50"x60", too small to be a Twin. BUT! There was extra border fabric and maybe I could put my thinking cap on and come up with a way to embiggen the top to 70"x90". Rather than put it back on the rack, I put it into one of the POUT drawers for future consideration.

The Jewel Box Stars flimsy, at 72"x86", was also just too shy of the ideal Twin measurement to be ready for sandwiching, so I scribbled some notes about adding a few inches to the length, eventually, and put it aside for rehanging (by this time the POUT drawers were too full to add another flimsy).

From other make-shift storage areas I unearthed my crumbs experiment flimsy (perfectly Twin size)  and the two kiddie flimsies and rehung my ready-to-be-quilted storage system, ready-most flimsies on the bottom-most dowels.

It's liberating being able to reevaluate projects and get them moving forward, now that I have parameters in which to operate. Small wonder so many of these were languishing, as most had unspoken "... and then what?" baggage attached.

4 comments:

  1. Adding a few inches to one side would be easy with lettering. It would excuse the strip being a different fabric to the rest of the quilt. The date and some appropriate phrase would give it a reason for being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT's a good idea! I could probably find a suitable quote from the Mobile Loaves and Fishes organization (the sponsor of Community First! Village). Thank you for the inspiration!

      C

      Delete
    2. I found a couple that I can work with: "Love your neighbor as yourself" and "Human to Human, heart to heart".

      Delete
  2. I still use that coaster, and I remember that you were the only one who came to that PieFest prepared to sew. Wow, 5-1/2 years ago. Seems like a lifetime.........Meanwhile, having the POUTs now in the open will give you incentive to finish 'em. And Caroline's suggestion is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...