Monday, March 7, 2022

Frankenbatt

That's what you get when joining batting scraps into one large piece: a Frankenbatt. That's also what was taking up valuable real estate on my cutting table--elements of my next Frankenbatt--and it was high time I either sewed those scraps together or put them away!

First, though: figure out if I have enough pieces to cover a 40"x58" area.

Well, it's a start. The excess hanging off the left piece can be cut off and sewn on elsewhere, and there were still more scraps. If none of this worked, there was another already-constructed Frankenbatt I could use instead.

Well, I just didn't have enough to make a piece large enough:

so moving on to Plan B, I started sandwiching this project with the Frankenbatt already constructed.

And it wasn't large enough.

As I sewed all my scraps to the alleged 54x74, which was in actuality 54"x42", I kept wondering why it was mislabeled like that. That's not something I'd do. And why was such a small piece cut off--only 32" wide? Then things slo-o-o-owly started to filter back: a small project, a period of distraction before a rushed departure. I cut that piece off to use in the 30"x50" baby quilt I mailed off just hours before leaving for Oregon, back in August 2020. No wonder I hadn't corrected that note! Quite suddenly it was the last thing on my mind.

Three years ago I took a bunch of pictures documenting my method of Frankenbatting, so I might as well use them now. Disclosure: it's not necessary to have a cat, but I can't imagine how you'd get accurate results without one.

Straightening edges is a must. The finished product will inevitably be a little puckery anyway--no sense making it worse by trying to join together misshapen edges.

Butt the straight edges, and have it CAT scanned.



Put registration marks every couple of inches, and have them CAT scanned as well. My pieces tend to feed unevenly through my Janome Jem, so this helps me keep edges aligned and unstretched as I go.

 
Either a wide or a 'walking' (3-step) zigzag stitch is what I use. I push the edges together enough to 'purse the lips', and this keeps things from pulling apart as the edges are sewn together.
Judging from the center position of the needle, I'm using the walking zigzag stitch here. You can see a previous seam next to my little finger.


Keep truing edges and adding more pieces until you've done all you can, all you need, or all you can stand.

This is very hard on your cutting mat.


After my last major session making batts (which, based on photographic evidence, went from morning coffee to evening wine),

(it was for the big push, making quilts for the California fires survivors at the end of 2018) I ended up flipping the (double-sided--well worth the money) mat over. At least when I get ready for another Franken-session, I can flip back to the old side and not have both sides ruined!

5 comments:

  1. Using a Frankenbatt makes me feel so thrifty. I use 2" wide strips of lightweight fusible interfacing to connect the batting pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use my cutting mat for batting because of the fibres being pushed into the cut, it's scissors for me. I agree that registration marks are the key, the left side is usually bigger and left alone catches and feeds more slowly. I need to finish the quilt I have basted to see if the trimmings from that will be enough to make the last bits big enough for the last quilt top. It's going to be close, I feel as if I'm making quilts from hope and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I feel as if I'm making quilts from hope and fresh air."

      What a great visual!

      C

      Delete
  3. My daughter makes Frankenbatts too. I tend to just make batts with only one or two seams. On the other hand I buy batting by the roll usually. I use a sticky roller to clean off my mat. I get some fuzz but never that much. Is it time to replace your rotary blade? (Says the gal who doesn’t replace hers all that often.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am terrible about letting blades get dull--using them well past their "best by" date. It never occurred to me that might be pushing all that fiber into the mat, though. I also buy batts by the roll, which is where most of those trimmed scraps come from!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...