Friday, January 4, 2019

CA-bound #7: Handsome

Quilt #7 sent to Robert Kaufman for the #quiltsforCA drive:
Virtually awesome. Actually huge: 73" x 90"
This woven pattern was one I'd been wanting to play with for some time. I didn't have a place clear enough and big enough to lay the finished quilt out for its photo-op before mailing it to California. I was in a hurry--TFI's government shut-down was imminent and I wasn't sure how our postal system would be impacted.

The above was the virtual quilt I created to plan out the best use of the various small pieces of grey and tan fabrics I wanted to use up. The block size was determined by splitting the upholstery fabric pieces in 1/2. I had it down to practically a science, and here's a peek into how obsessed anal controlling detailed I can get:
Each piece being auditioned was measured so I could see how many center rectangles OR how many rectangles I could frame with each. I apparently jumped (uncharacteristically) into this project without planning first (re the "existing" line items near the bottom), then took a step back and started thinking about this properly.

I did take a shot of the design wall partway through the quilt top construction, so at least there's that.
 



















  Unbleached muslin was used for the triangles.

I kept the virtual top on the monitor during construction so I could keep track of what went where. This computer is mainly for use with the Singer embroidery machine, but it's sure nice to have on hand for projects like this!

This quilt top was deemed "Handsome" by a visiting Magpie, who spent several hours with me last August helping to pin-baste a different quilt sandwich while we chatted and laughed and caught up with each other.
Swirly/Squirrelly 'n' me
Contrary to my usual habit, I put the label on the top. It was made on the same muslin, so seemed to be more at home there than on the back.
For the backing I used white sweatsuit fleece, fuzzy side out, and it shows off the quilt pattern ("Woven Wind") quite nicely:



Tip learned the hard way: don't do the first washing with dark clothing. Lints like the devil!
Something else being shown off quite nicely--Quilt Inspector Wraith, Mister 'Warm and Natural' himself:
Glad Press'n Seal being used to set up the next line of quilting
 This/he is one of 3 reasons I always wash every quilt before it leaves my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...