Sunday, May 12, 2024

Yay!

Pinning! That always seems like such a great landmark to reach in the construction of any quilt.


In all the strings and strips and scraps I pulled from the CF!Q bins last month before taking them to the retreat, I found lots and lots of the red-with-white-dots fabric, cut into wonky 2.5" strips, that I ultimately used to make the border (trimmed down to straight-ish 2" strips). I also found and grabbed four 10" squares of that fabric, fortunately, because most of one of those squares was needed to complete the perimeter.

I'm so pleased that all of this (except the batting) was created from the donated fabrics. Very tickled, indeed!

Today was celebrated as Mother's Day at Mom's facility. Lots of family members going in and out all afternoon. That didn't stop the karaoke routine however (2nd & 4th Sunday afternoons), and "in honor of Mother's Day" I sang a song by the Mamas (and Papas): Creeque ("Creaky") Alley. "John and Mitchy were gettin' kinda itchy just to leave the folk music be-hi-i-ind". The lyrics are shown to the audience on a large monitor so it's expected that everyone will sing along with you when you're up at the microphone. I warned them, though: "This is probably the first time in your life you'll know what the real words actually are!" Everyone in the room always joined in at "No one's gettin' fat except Mama Cass!" I also sang a couple of Mom's favorites (Doris Day's "Sentimental Journey" and John Denver's "Country Roads"); one of the residents confessed as I was walking back to my seat that she always thought it was a song about a flower: Country Rose!

As I had hoped going in yesterday, the Memorial Service did provide a different song as an earworm, kicking out the audition song (it's not a song I can sing at karaoke to get it out of my system). One of the family members decided to proselytize during his time at the microphone, and I came away humming The Monkees' "I'm a Believer" as a result. Not his aim, I'm sure, but them's the breaks I guess.

Old and irreverent: that's me and I'm claiming it without apology.

3 comments:

  1. I am always pleased to see something I recognise in the donations, the 1990s fabrics are the ones that follow me home. You did well taking the extra squares, I'd have been kicking myself for coming up short on the border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got all the lyrics to Creeque Alley....now I've learned the whole story. Hurray for basting -- a step closer to finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here--I'd always assumed "McGuin & Mcguire" was a music/record publishing company, or a law firm.

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...