Wednesday, January 10, 2024

A finish

Yay!

 

This is roughly 70"x88". I added the stripe border to build it out to closer meet the Twin guideline of 70"x90".

It's a N1C quilt, front and back. I'm not sure what one would call the plain light green fabric in the back (and a shiny version of it as the binding), but according to the burn test it's definitely Not 100% Cotton either.

Regardless of mixed content, it all quilted up nice and cuddly (Warm & Natural batting).


For the corners I used a diagonal back and forth, and the borders were finished with a serpentine top-to-bottom filler. The lack of close pinning and basting of the border edge prior to quilting wasn't a problem at all. I saved a LOT of time by not doing that, because for past projects I usually had to pick out the basting and re-smooth the border in several places as I quilted. A good lesson to learn!

For the corners and borders I used a couple of spools from my Mom's stash, the medium green in the corners, the sage in three of the borders (finishing the fourth with the medium green, which was also used to stitch down the binding).

I knew from the early planning stages that I wanted to use up the two green fabrics. At least one of them was left over from my anniversary quilt: the shiny triangles that would make a fine bias binding.

But the maths were a little too close when I calculated how much binding I could cut from those four triangles, so Past Me decided to make planned corners using these pieces from my bag of 2" binding scraps. I clipped them together and set the bundle aside. Two months later Present Me only remembered being worried about extending those green pieces to make a binding long enough, so I was pleasantly surprised to see these pieces already chosen and ready to go. As it turned out, I probably had enough to go around, but I like the colorful corners and the lack of stress that comes with knowing there's ample fabric for the job.

Binding remains. All N1C, all binned.

Another spool that was used to the nearly end, the red thread with which I quilted all the dark rectangles. The remains were wound onto a bobbin for my Brother.

Not as much of a game of Thread Chicken as it appears: I have another, full spool of this.

Before throwing the finished quilt into the wash for its final, hot, machine wash and dry before leaving my home, I remembered the puzzling blue pencil in my mug-o-markers. Was it really for quilting? How did it get there? The most important question: does it wash out when used to mark fabric?


I filled the o of the "Community First! Quilters" label with this blue product and let the laundry do its thing. The verdict:

It seemed to wash out from the fabric, but get caught in/by the thread. I'm not that hard up for marking tools, so this pencil is being added to the collection of coloring pencils at my Mom's facility.

There remains just one N1C top to quilt up. Everything else hanging about has been constructed from 100% Cotton. This has been a very successful purge of that decades-long collection of those fabrics. It's also been nice looking at my hanging system and knowing I can now reach flimsies with a minimum of effort and rearranging.

3 comments:

  1. You've put planned corners in my mind just as Linus gave me a bag of one yard lengths. For the first time in months I can cut binding knowing I'll have enough. It's a lovely quilt, both sides and I'm sure it will make someone very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the inserts in the back. And look at how much stuff -- fabric, thread, batting -- you used up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO MUCH the best part--using up dribs and drabs. My next post has more of the same (spoiler: especially the backing).

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...