Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Tuesday, Do-sday

I went to bed last night with the following To-Do list on my mind for my "day off":

1: take pictures of the completed baby quilt

2: figure out which block to add to Celia's starting 6

3: measure and sew the borders on two N1C (Not 100% Cotton) flimsies

4: complete more Frankenbatts, if there's time left in the day

To address #1:

Fresh from the drier. It's made of flannel scraps and backed with a velvet-ish fabric. It was to be a second little baby quilt for a chorus friend (OMG--that "baby" is 3 years old now!) but Life got in the way and instead it became a POUT (Project On Unlimited Time-out).

While I was finishing up my last quilt, I marked this one with the same stencil. It was a nice design (hearts), but I feared the velvet-ish backing wouldn't cooperate much and I wanted to take advantage of having quilted the design over several days, thereby knowing what to expect and where the design was going. It turned out to be a wise decision. The orange velvet-ish backing fabric seemed to repel the chalk. I was thankful it was a small quilt!

Unlike any other quilt I've finished, for this one I turned the backing to the front and used it as the binding. I think using a separate strip of fabric for binding is easier, frankly. The main detail to remember was: don't trim the backing--only cut off the batting!!!!

My camera swore to me it was a non-blurry picture. I think my camera needs glasses.
 

I quilted this 'upside down', using YLI "Sunset" on the top, and King Tut "Mummy's Dearest" in the bobbin (still).


There are several young members in the chorus, so I'm sure this will find a new home soon. In the meantime, I'm leaving this note for Future Self: this is where you put it!

Item 2: Celia's quilt. I've been having weird dreams lately about this project, which seems to want to progress to the flimsy stage tout suite. To that end, I decided my energies need to turn to getting the big (completed) blocks sewn into a top. I've been diddling away my time making the 1/2 and 1/4 blocks for the edges and corners; what I really need to do is construct the middle!

I pulled out the 6-block segment already sewn together by Celia . . .

. . . and found the block I had decided would be added to it . . .

. . . and put all 7 of them in my busy bag. I think the residents at Heritage Lakes will be excited to see some growth in this project!

Item 3: done. The flimsies are now waiting for Frankenbatts and backs.

Item 4: I'd been thinking of hacking off a bit of batting from my big roll and using that to finish some of the Frankenbatts I hadn't been able to complete in my last push. Upon reflection I realized that if I sandwiched another flimsy with a fresh piece of batting I'd end up with a big hunk to flesh out the Frankenbatts, plus I'd've sandwiched another quilt. Win Win! So, quite unexpectedly, I found myself pin basting a top this afternoon.

A GoodWill sheet provided the backing--no piecing this time!

This is the resulting batting hunk that'll be put to good use in the next several days.

A simple serpentine/wavy stitch along all the seams will be the extent of the quilting in the middle (the seams/seam allowances are the weakest part of all the squares). Something basic will fill the borders (don't know what, yet, but it'll come).

And now, to bed. It's been a fuller day than I could've imagined!

2 comments:

  1. I have a surplus of batting bits, so many that I'm taking a sidestep into a run of small quilts that are the right size to make use of the scraps rather than the scraps being made to fit the quilt. Let's see how that works out for me. I think I've tried using the backing as the edging once, it seems as if it should have many advantages but i didn't feel the love either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the off-center design of the squares. I need to have a Frankenbatt session.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...