Wednesday, January 11, 2023

POUTs and MEQs, part 2

Once the nearly-emptied top POUT (Projects On Unlimited Time-out) drawer was returned, the second/middle drawer caught my eye and I had to take a peek there too.

The bottom drawer holds trash bag fabrics and plastic sheeting.

First things out of the gate were piles and piles of fruit and vegetable fabrics ...

... and an apparent plan for all these.

I definitely put a lot of planning into this MEQ (Mind's Eye Quilt) and was enthused enough to plan for several sizes. I vaguely remember thinking of calling it "Kitchen Sink".

The whole lot got folded into the paper plans and put into the top POUT drawer, refreshed in my memory banks and probably the next thing I turn to when a new project is needed.

Next out of POUT drawer 2 was

the rest of the eye chart guild challenge from the first POUT drawer!

Provenance:

 

Those 20/something lines for each size of Es had been constructed from the black 2000 fabric.

I'd already decided not to go ahead with this '20/###' element of the original plan (also found in the drawer)

so any of the constructed 20/20XX strips that were long enough were put into my string bin. The remaining hunk of chewed-up black fabric
was cut into Scrap User sizes. Not surprisingly, several triangles were cut from this.

Also bundled with this was the backing fabric I had originally planned for the wall hanging.

Something about the print of this makes my eyes want to cross, so I figured 'what better for a vision-related wall hanging?'

With so many 'new' elements of the original wall hanging resurfacing, I'm going to take some time to decide if I want to expand on what I've already sewn. At least the whole project is together again in the same place!

What next? Some appliqued blocks that came home with me from 'PieFest 2020. Nothing sparks just yet.


Another block emerged, whence I cannot say.
I knew I didn't construct it. I also knew it was made of questionable fabrics, and if any of them were 100% cotton, they were of the cheapest possible quality. I wouldn't even want to deconstruct it and reuse any part of it, so I shredded it with my rotary cutter and finally got it out of my life. Liberating? You betcha!!

On a roll! What's next?

Ah, the note explaining the picture my aunt ("Ots", which was as close to "Elsie" as my literally tongue-tied mother could pronounce as a child) painted on some fabric and included with the Wedding Ring quilt my mother made for The Loud and me. For now it belongs with the painting, obvs. How funny to think of this dwelling as "classy", and what a wonderful insight into Norwegian history/culture!
My mother painted the block of Pearl, our Sharpei.

The final MEQ to emerge from this drawer was a collection of patriotic fabrics and blocks.

These were the remains of a 1998 bee project/block exchange.
Several blocks had already been made into quilts and given away, yet I've kept collecting patriotic/RW&B fabrics. Now I'm thinking some of the Magpie blocks could be folded into this collection, and I have a collection of 5" squares given to me by a chorus Secret Sister several years ago that would flesh these orphans out to a respectably-sized QOV (one of which I've made already, so I have an "in" with the local QOV program).

Drawer upshot? One new project (Kitchen Sink) and two other MEQs rolled into each other (Eye Chart from drawers 1 and 2, and Magpie blocks into Patriotic project). Some flotsam and jetsam removed entirely or positioned where it made more sense. The final layer of that drawer consisted of the zippered headers I used to load tops when I had a sort-of long-arm system. I'm not ready to throw those away yet--I'd rather find someone who could use them.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing the black and white squares with the small fruit and veg in your first photo was like seeing an old friend in a strange place. I might have used all of mine now after a big push on the novelty drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The novelty drawer": that's exactly where these were pulled from! I seem to have two such drawers, one containing pieces that can be tamed and folded neatly, and one that corrals the novelties that refuse to be confined to society's expectations of how they should behave (those are usually the remnants of fabrics I've made clothes from, sometimes the outfits themselves if I really disliked the results.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...