Sunday, January 8, 2023

POUTs and MEQs

With an empty mid-arm and a very full flimsy storage system, I found myself staring at this the other day and wondering which one to move forward.

One of the post-its had '82" x something' on it (QI Zoe's got me pinned to the recliner, so I can't leap up and refresh my memory of the second measurement), so I figured that would be a good candidate if I could find a few yards of 42"-43" wide fabric in my backing drawer.

However, when I opened the drawer that I thought was holding yardage ...

... I found this instead, along with a hunk of Ikea 100% cotton duvet cover with which I had intended to back it, and the last bit of that blue fabric seen in the sashings and 4-patch posts.

Well, okay. I guess this just jumped to the head of the line.

There's probably enough of the blue to make binding, but the backing, while wide enough, was short by about 10" and would need to be supplemented with something else. I wondered if I had some random 5" (finished) blocks from various L&E projects I could insert into the backing, thereby saving myself the effort of making something new out of scraps and happy thoughts.

To the POUT drawer!

I was incredulous as I pulled item after item from this little drawer--first, that so much could fit in this tiny plastic thing, but second that I'd managed to collect so much more crap in it in the past 4 years!

First out, the growing pile for the current L&E project "Triple Treat".

 

Since there's still this much to go ... 

... it's hardly a POUT, but it ended up in this drawer because it was handy.

Next out:

80 blocks of the previous Leader-Ender "Easy Breezy" Challenge.

No plans or ideas for this one yet, but 80 is a nice round 8x10 number. No point in dipping into this to complete something else.

What else?

A baby quilt, complete with intended velvet-ish backing.

Fold together and set on the Viking table--this can be finished in short order then set aside for the next Chorus baby.

Still digging to reveal this incomplete guild challenge.

31" x 32". The Guild was in the Rio Grande Valley, from over 20 years ago.

The lily fabric was part of it, as were the elements "Drunkard's Path" and "2000/Y2K".

I remember wanting to make a child's eye chart and planning to have various degrees of 20s along the side (e.g. 20/20, 20/200, etc). It seems easy enough to finish as is and donate to either my or my mother's vision center. To that end, a backing would be needed, so I pulled a piece of problematic fabric from the actual backing drawer, folded them together and stashed them on the mid-arm table too.

Diving back in and coming up with ...

... a years-ago plan to make a paper-pieced wall-hanging for myself based on this card given to me by my chorus Secret Sister.

Not gonna happen. Card recycled and fabrics stored in their appropriate color containers.

Next?

Ah! I'd wondered where that paisley had gone! Yellow/peach and pink/purple fabrics put in with like FQ colors, and the paisley added to my 'big hunks of multi-colored fabrics too awkward to fold nicely' drawer. (Yes, it does sound as though I'm just shifting stuff from one drawer to another.)

Now we're getting to bits and pieces. These four blocks, but why?

I suspect they were my first go-around with a paper-pieced pattern as I was trying out ideas for the luggage tags I made for my Baritones four years ago. These blocks were way too big for that project. At least I could trim them down to a uniform size (3-3/4") and sew them together.

Continuing on with the odds and sods, this was also pulled out.

A printout of the original emails between me and Kathy from RCTQ, when she admitted defeat and disgust at the hands of her Stack and Whack project. I'll see if I need to update that post with any new information, then recycle these pages.

And finally, this:

No idea. Recycle.

The POUT drawer (top) has been put back, much lighter (I think it now holds only the blocks for the current and past L&E challenges), but look at the middle drawer . . . .


To be continued . . .

3 comments:

  1. When I saw the array in the first photo I thought you would embark on an orphan blocks quilt. Hope all this UFO-discovery won't paralyze you into indecision overload.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "array" is most of my completed flimsies/tops (some with their chosen backings hanging alongside). My goal this year is to get them sandwiched and quilted. I keep finding other flimsies I've stashed in random drawers because the hanging system is filled to its max.

      Delete
  2. I'm standing in your shoes, I haven't made a "new" quilt in ages, it's all scraps or old odd blocks. There seems to be no end to it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...