Sunday, December 22, 2019

Eight (or 10) is Enough


I was gifted a bag like this several years ago and it has lived in my car ever since. From it I "drafted" the rough pattern and have been making these as fundraisers and quick gifts. They're fun to make, needing only a fat quarter each of two coordinating fabrics (a great way to use novelties) and some heavy plastic for lining. 


They're much more fun done one or two at a time, however--not so much when sewing a 5-day marathon session of 20 bags! The above was taken when halfway through and only 10 were left to complete. My spirit was starting to flag at this point.

The "done" pile was encouraging though!
The whole lot (22 bags) will go to the chorus for our craft sales table at our April concert.
I use these constantly in my sewing room too. A few years ago I made personalized bags for all my Baritones, having fun playing with my then-new embroidery machine as well.
Austin Harmony without [name] is like Barbershop without Baritone!

















For anyone interested, from each fat quarter is cut a 14"x20.5" rectangle and a 3"x20.5" strip. One 14"x20.5" rectangle is cut from the plastic. The large pieces are the outer body and lining; the strips make the handle and the top "binding". (11/2023 Edit, in the middle of making 30 of these): I've found that cutting the outer fabric a tad generously (so, 14" by 20.75") makes it easier to fit the plastic-covered lining inside when it comes to assembling everything. Nope. It just provides 1/4" excess that needs to be trimmed off later.

2 comments:

  1. Very clever. (And maybe I'll get to see them in person in February?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can just see THAT! "Look but don't touch! Ladies? LADIES! I didn't bring them for YOU!!" Maybe I'll just show everyone the car bag and let them use their imaginations. Ellie and Celia have their own already, though--that was part of their gifts for hosting the Maine Fest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...