Women: we are his voice of truth. If you notice your man is dragging a foot when he walks, bring it up. If you notice he doesn't breathe for 30 seconds when he sleeps, voice your concern. If you notice he's suddenly dropped a LOT of weight due to his new medication, ask him how he's feeling about his medication. If you notice he needs a moment to gain equilibrium after standing up, ask about his blood pressure.
All of this is based on real life, based on my (and The Loud's) life. Be the hero, don the cape. Love you all.
7/5 edit/clarification: Apparently this was alarming as written, and I never meant it to be! The Loud has dropped quite a bit of weight lately due to a change in his diabetes meds, and I initiated a frank discussion with him about it, mainly to keep those lines open because otherwise he won't talk much about what's going on with his body. A month ago I noticed he'd have to take a pause when standing up from his chair, letting the lightness in his head settle down before he dared take a step. I brought it up and that discussion led to the probability that his new blood pressure meds are probably too strong (107/68 is way too low for a man in his 70s). Starting that night he's been splitting the pills in half, and will bring it up with his doctor at tomorrow's appointment.
There were things I noticed during our marriage that he never realized until I brought them up. I was the one who saw the foot-drop that had developed on his right side. I was the one who lay awake for hours counting the seconds before his body would jump-start his breathing with a loud snort and groan.
I felt so good about how he and I were able to talk about things recently that I wanted to share that feeling with all y'all. By the way, The Loud has taken the initiative to take much better care of himself and get back into good shape and good health. The lower weight suits him, but my dad went through a "fitness" kick when he was in his 40s/50s and took it to the point where he looked emaciated (so I've got that in my memory banks coloring my reaction to weight loss, deliberate or otherwise).
Off to the studio! I uncovered a mostly-done lap-sized flimsy yesterday and nearly finished it, so I plan to put on the final border today and create a backing for it. Hoping to get a string flimsy sandwiched today as well, using one of the backings (the plaid) created last year. And there's a finished quilt to photograph when the sun's in the west (instead of shining in my eyes as it would be right now if I attempted it).
What?????
ReplyDeleteIMHO, a hemmm, men are mighty awful about paying attention to their own health. Good thing you are.
DeleteIndeed, yep. Thanks for peeking in!
ReplyDeleteC