Monday, September 9, 2024

Just another Sewing Sunday

I've been wondering lately: why don't we use the term "sewyer" to describe our craft/hobby/skill set? I usually use "sewist/maker", but the -yer suffix is used to describe people who saw wood, people who make bows, people versed in law. Shall we start a movement?

I was moved to start pinning another quilt sandwich yesterday. In my "pile" of frankenbatts (all both of them; I got bored with that project and did something else rather than make more) I found what seemed, on paper, to be the perfect size. But when I did a dry run the edges fell short in several places, so I had an impromptu frankenbatting session right then and there, sewing a couple of long, thin batting cut-offs to two sides.


Mush besser! (The originator of this bit of familect is now 40.)

This is lap-quilt sized and will be a gift to the former resident nurse at my Mom's Memory Care facility. She's left to take another job but will still be popping by as part of her new position. I want to thank her for all the help and support she provided my sister and me through the tough mental and practical aspects of some decisions we made concerning Mom's care.

In order to find my "pile" of frankenbatts, everything needed to be pulled out.

I have more large hunks than I realized! With my cutting mat pulled out now (and the batt-cutting side available), I'll probably devote tomorrow--after the Dreadfuls--to a massive push to get these zig-zagged together and into 74"x94", useful pieces.

Before leaving to visit Mom, I covered the semi-pinned quilt sandwich with an old sheet and secured the corners so my hedonistic beast Wraith couldn't make a comfy bed out of it.

He found a work-around.

Entirely unrepentant and completely comfortable.
That'll teach me: double-check the studio door before I leave!

Two more little projects were completed yesterday. I finally patched the tear in the Sugar Skull quilt, then stitched over it by hand using the same quilting thread.


I was careful to stitch in the same line on the back so it wouldn't be obvious.

From a distance, and in context:

The Angry Birds (Ugh!) flimsy also has a tear in one section and I had reserved a 2" square of yellow to patch that eventually.
Honest: it's yellow in Real Life.

But in the process of working down the Big Box o' Scraps, I found this and thought perhaps I'd do the same thing as I did with the Sugar Skull eye, using the bun for the patch.

If the tear had been in one of the 25-patch corners, I probably would have gone that route. But it's in one of the yellow borders in the middle of the quilt, so I went with a little yellow oval as a patch. Once quilted, it should blend right in.

The Loud surprised me with an early birthday present yesterday. He made it himself and was quite proud of the result.

He made an extra base because cats.

It gives me the heebie-jeebies seeing it seeming to defy physics that way, so I'm displaying it on the wine cabinet in a manner less unsettling.

 

He also bought me a 12-slice cheesecake variety platter. No heebie-jeebies associated with THAT!

4 comments:

  1. I think there were 32 pieces in my last pieced batt, I know they aren't a good use of my time but I can't stand waste. I love your wonky stars, they are so lively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't have occurred to me to count the pieces, but since you started it: the one I just finished has 24. So far, you win.

      C

      Delete
  2. Oh, those stars-and-strings are terrific! I guess you needed the design wall to get the star points to color-coordinate with the cornerstone squares...... Are the strings pieced on paper, foundations, or devil-may-care? I'm impressed by the pile of frankenbatts. I generally have enough pieces on hand to make one at a time and then I use it. Happy birthday a wee bit early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the design wall was in constant use for this one! I'm almost positive I strung those strings onto telephone book pages cut to 5" squares. Going back through my "wonky stars" posts, I see I started this in 1/2020: https://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2020/01/wonkiness.html It was funny to go back and read the original post, especially with the edit made to it in 2022.

      I managed to get 2 usable batts from the pile--a twin and a lap-quilt--and the flimsies have already been assigned. The project took all day, but it feels great to have it done and something to show (more AND less) for it.

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...