Friday, September 6, 2024

Crumby Finish

Yay! 

91" x 70" Construction story at this link

Here's the plan for the cobbled back . . .

. . . and here's the back itself:

As I thought, feathers were a great filler for the muslin portions. I didn't bother to treat the little crumby centers any differently, and feathered right over them. What I did do first is run a relaxed line of stitching from corner to corner of each block (the lines weren't serpentine, but there was a bit of a wave to them). Those provided the stems from which my favorite "hook feathers" could grow.
My biggest challenge was keeping the feathers going in the same direction on either side of the stem.

The Converging Corners were quilted by starting at the tip of one of the skinniest logs, traveling along until I could move into the corner of an adjacent log, then follow the perimeter of the whole section. I spiraled into the center with echo-ish intent.

They remind me of topographic maps, and a class I took in map reading at one of my Army Reserve units. I was the only one to get a trick test question right, apparently the only one in years, because the instructor was convinced the answer key was wrong. I was pleased to explain how I got the answer and where the trick lay.

The threads, AURIfil and King Tut:

Muslin and bobbin

Oh! And this one for the Converging Corners' topography (King Tut Cleopatra):


For binding I used two striped FQs, alternating segments throughout.
Another element where I had to keep a close eye on positioning and stripe direction.

I'd been wondering how effective the tennis-balls-with-air-drying technique was as a replacement for washing the finished quilts, so I made sure to first clean then check the lint trap after an hour of tumbling.
That's a surprisingly significant amount of crap (and a crepe myrtle petal) that's been knocked off the quilt in this process.

3 comments:

  1. The bits of color in the corners add SO much to the design. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a perfect example of quilting making the quilt because those feathers are transformational.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...