Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Reality Check

Yesterday morning, while waiting in line for the voting doors to open, I gave some thought to the next quilting projects that were clamoring loudest for my attention. My mother's quilt was nearly done, so finishing the hanging sleeve and binding would be a matter of a day or two of hand sewing. To the top of the list it went.

My brother's quilt weighs heaviest on my conscience, so I spent a peaceful 15 minutes (still in line--I was very early to the polls) considering various background fillers for the area around the appliqued border. I'd been stuck on that for some time now. Spoiler: it's going to be 1" cross-hatching.

Today, while Mom's quilt was in the wash, I pulled out my brother's quilt so I could start marking the cross-hatching lines. To my dismay, however, I was greeted with this:

unburied threads as far as the eye could see! I last worked on this in March; my departure for Oregon was abrupt and unexpected back then--I must've just folded it up and thought no more about it until today. 

So, a day of burying threads is before me. I think one 4-patch border's threads were buried before I put this away in March. In the meantime, with help from Wraith

(who really just wants me to turn my back long enough for him to make a nest in the middle of this), I marked the cross-hatch quilting lines (done after taking this picture--he was posing so nicely I had to take a shot). It looks as though the Brother with its walking foot will be moved back to the dining room table for this stage.

This afternoon I hung her quilt in my mom's room. She's pleased with it, as am I.

The drawing is of her mother, done by her sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...