Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Next New Thing

These (there are two--one is pinned over the other) arrived recently and safely from Nann. She's got pictures of both tops on her blog. They're hugs from The Magpies to the surviving twin sons of our founding Magpie, Sarah.

58" x 68"

I've agreed to create the backs which will incorporate seventeen 4" signature squares, two 4-1/2" sig squares, a 6" label, and an extra star block (8"). Rather than create a tight grouping, I'm playing with the idea of breaking things up with stripes. Lots and lots of stripes.

The Magpie who had purchased these (Celia) mainly bought 1/4 yard pieces. I love using stripes in bias bindings, but 9" widths (or less, due to raveling) don't make long enough pieces for my liking. So I've cut all those small pieces into various widths (4-1/2", 6-1/2", 8-1/2", then the scraps into Scrap User sizes).

Here's my plan:


If I've miscalculated, there's still more. This basket(?--I'm not sure what to call this cute little thing, but it's a memento of the 2020 flocking of The 'Pies) was once crammed with stripe fabrics, filling both sides.

Because of the 1/4 yard sizes, the stripes will be going up and down instead of side to side. I'm hoping the backs will end up a riotous cacophony of stripes and colors that will reflect Sarah's glorious life of joy and regrets, and the wonderful stories she had to tell as a result.

If it turns out to be a hot mess instead, I'll have lots of stripes ready to be sewn into a different project!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see that. This week I washed one of the baby quilts from 2020 and I had one of Celia's blocks at my eye level as I went up and down stairs. Her signature has held up better than some of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plan for the quilt back is impressive. Meanwhile I hope your back is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...