Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Cataracts

 I'm finding that lots of light, strong light, makes it easier for me to do close work for longer periods of time. This morning supplied that in spades.


For as long as the sun was an asset, I worked at the dining room table tearing off the Press'n Seal and burying threads.

QI Zoe, of course, supervised closely. I think she was hoping to snag a strip of the plastic, as she loves chewing on it, but that's not a choking hazard I care to let her indulge in.

I went in for a cataracts consultation this afternoon. What I didn't expect was the full gamut of tests (most of which I had already gone through last week with my ophthalmologist) with the accompanying drops to either anesthetize or dilate my eyes. Four hours later and I'm still having one heck of a challenge with focus, so there'll be no chance of picking up the thread burial project again today. 

I have a time-line now: I have 6 days in which to do as much of this close work as I want before putting it aside for the rest of the month. Two days prior to surgery I have to start putting drops in my eyes 4 times a day, and I have no idea what effect they'll have on my vision, nor how long the effects will last. Two weeks after the first surgery, I'll go in for the other eye. My surgeon seems quite excited with the potential improvement the surgeries will bring. My cloudy lenses will be replaced with clear plastic lenses that will have a prescription already in them!! This came as quite a (pleasant) shock. It'll be interesting to see how much vision I gain in my poorest eye, which for decades has been essentially blind. When doing the eye chart test without corrective lenses, the best I can read is 'there's a white rectangle with black shapes'.

A life without wearing glasses? That'll be a new experience! (On the line following 'How many years have you worn glasses?" I nearly wrote "all".)

3 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well for you, Carolyn. Everyone I've known who has had cataract surgery is so pleased with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law was amazed at the results and wished he'd had it done years before, the trees had individual leaves on again. I hope your procedure is equally transformative. Mum had one of the common issues, about five years afterwards her vision became foggy and it was a layer of skin cells growing where they shouldn't be. That was in-zap-out without the need for drops or a follow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear/know! It's something to be aware of, yet nothing to fear.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...