Sunday, February 2, 2020

I'm wonkin', yes indeed...

Well, most of the project bags are done; they've all been machine sewn, and now there are only 4 left that need one lining seam hand-sewn together.

Most of them came out quite nicely, but one of the fabrics (used in 3 bags) did not stand up well to all the handling, crunching, and manipulating involved in getting these to the finished stage. I don't know if it was the iron-on stabilizer, or the fabric itself, or a combination of the two, but terrible wrinkles and puckering resulted.


I don't know if I'll offer these at half price, or rip them apart and use the zippers (and perhaps the handles) for another project. Since the chorus concert at which I'll be selling these has been moved up to June, I have several weeks to decide.

Because the plastic mesh I use to create the bottom of these bags really chews up the needles, dulling them quickly, I soon had to stop trying to sew other projects. As a result, I only managed 43 more rectangles for the wonky star project.

Another session of sewing (with a new needle) and Project Runway reruns (in the background via Hulu) brought the rectangle count up to the requisite 142 needed to start assembling this Wonky Star project.

Using the above plan, I started assembling red squares using the neutral strings set to form a diamond. I had enough to make 5 red blocks,

then set up 7 more non-red blocks on the design wall.


Once all 12 of these blocks are done, it'll be a matter of joining and filling in using the rest of the rectangles and string blocks, scattering the red blocks "randomly" over the surface. I'm looking forward to seeing how the yellow rectangles I've introduced will add a pop and spark here and there.

1 comment:

  1. It's disappointing when the fabric does not behave as expected. I predict you will salvage the zippers and try again because otherwise the wrinkled fabric will drive you crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...