Saturday, May 20, 2017

Will the real Craigslist Flake please stand up?

My last place of employment squandered my talents and skill set, so I terminated employment as of March 24, 2017. But I still enjoy working on and fixing machines, so now my attentions will be turned toward: Singers!

I already have a modest collection (and just recently added, through Craigslist, the sweetest 185J to the herd), but now I'd like to flip machines I find locally. To that end I've been reading Nicholas Rain Noe's blog (unfortunately, he hasn't blogged for several years), and as a result I've also been "collecting" craptastic Craigslist photographs so I can strengthen my knowledge of Singer models and try my eye at sussing out what the item for sale might be (other than "old sewing machine").

Of course, when one cruises Craigslist looking at ads, one is going to find something one didn't realize one absolutely HAD to have!

I came across this:


It's a vintage 201-2 (or antique--the manual's copyright extends from 1915 into the 1950s, so without the serial number I don't know how old it is), exactly the machine that Rain used for his 20-part tutorial on rewiring a potted motor. I'm thinking: this could be the perfect machine to tear down and rewire, getting my hands good and dirty as part of my training process. If worse comes to worst, I can always use it for parts.

So I reply to the ad, asking if the machine was still available, and if so did the hand-wheel turn and move the needle up and down? I said this could be checked manually, as it looked too dangerous to plug into an outlet. I also gave my personal email so we didn't have to correspond through Craigslist.

No reply.

I waited a few days, then this Thursday afternoon I called the number revealed in the ad. Someone answered! He assured me the machine was still available, and agreed I could come by Friday around 5pm to take a look at it (that afternoon was too soon, as he needed to get it out of the closet; okay, so I'm telling myself that was why he never responded to my initial query: he couldn't get to the hand-wheel easily) and he'd text me his address.

And that was the last I ever heard from him.

Friday morning rolls around, and I text him saying I never got the text with his address and could he please resend (giving him the benefit of the doubt)? Friday afternoon and his phone is going to voicemail, so I leave a message saying I'd still like to come by but needed his address and he could call any time. This morning, phone is STILL going to voicemail so I text instead, writing "... if the sewing machine is no longer available please let me know so I can stop waiting and worrying that something happened to you."

Because here's the thing: I AM worrying! Did he hurt himself hauling that heavy thing out of the closet? Did he plug it in, thinking he'd check that it worked before I came over, and electrocute himself or burn his house down?

Am I the naïve Craigslist flake?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...