A couple of months ago several hunks and kits and collections of fabrics magically appeared on the "Show and Tell" table at the Community First! Quilters' monthly meeting (I suspect someone was clearing out her sewing room in preparation for moving). Once the dust had settled and everyone took what they wanted, I brought the remaining hunks and kits and collections home with me to either add to our stash, or list on ebay.
There were 4 panels that called out to me, however, with a promise of an easy twin-sized quilt to create. And it was! I had plenty of yellows, oranges, greens, and browns to either pull from my 2.5" square collection, or cut from my own drawers of hunks and chunks. (Note to self: 4:30 pm in late August is a terrible time for picture-taking. The sun casts a shadow on the fence, and the temperature is still in the 100s.)
![]() |
| 70" x 90" |
The back was a no-brainer: the very first backing I made from the hoarded BOMs.
The binding came from four pieces of this stash of 17 squares (yep, the BOM hoard again). There's enough left to create binding for three more quilts. I like to cut stripes on the bias, and these are no exception.
I quilted a simple diagonal corner-to-corner line in all the squares, and used my old-fashioned plastic butterfly meander stencil for the panels. Here's a closer look:
In the panels I used this King Tut variegated light green; in the squares I used this variegated brown. Yes, the green shows up quite a bit on the black background, but it doesn't seem to detract from the panel on the whole.
I'll be glad to have a quilt to donate at September's meeting. This month all I brought in were three more Cabana Mesh bags for the Community First! Village Marketplace or the Christmas market, using some of the endless donation of alleged 6" squares.
I had completed three others \/ \/ \/ back in May (and neglected to take a photo); I just kept procrastinating about pounding in the grommets on these final three /\ /\ /\.
This picture ^^^ was taken less than a week after I gave myself my annual Summer haircut. I usually take electric clippers to my head as soon as the weather starts getting hot--the only reason to have long hair, in my case, is to keep my ears covered during the cold weather. They're painfully vulnerable, and a cold wind feels like an ice pick straight into the brain. This year, however, I needed to keep my hair around until the middle of May, so I'd look "girly" for the annual concert with my new chorus (Women of Heartsong).
![]() |
| I can tell from the hands and face of the upper left woman (who's on the back row with me, and standing on a box) that we're singing "No fits, no fights, no feuds, and no egos". |
The woman in front of me gets very overheated, and I'm notorious for my ice-cold "Death Hands" (my kids' name for them), so I'd place my hands on her neck and shoulders as often as possible. In this song, "Together, Wherever We Go" (Gypsy), we were encouraged to interact with each other as much as possible so it was easy to work my Ice Therapy into the "choreography". She, in turn, would anchor my hands so I couldn't pull away too soon for her liking!








A quick scrappy quilt is so energizing! Were the sunflower panels square enough to use as is or did you need to trim-to-straighten? I like your short haircut. (Reminds me of Kate J whose Last Homely House is always a delight to watch.)
ReplyDeleteI think the panels had all been cut a 1/4" beyond the black background edge. If there was any trimming, it was minimal. The finished size of each was 40" x 22", nicely divisible by 2.
DeleteMy hair has grown out enough to need a brush again, but I don't think I'll give myself another haircut until next Summer. Our busiest singing season will soon be upon us, and I like to look girly when performing.
Welcome back! Looking forward to reading of your travels.
C