Saturday, July 8, 2023

Leader-Ender: Lady of the Lake

I'm feeling quite rumbly in my tumbly today (not in a good way) so while Zoe and I relax in my comfy recliner, I'm looking over the Lady of the Lake blocks I "inherited" from a dearly- and recently-departed Magpie. I'd promised myself that if Bonnie Hunter's 2023 Leader-Ender project wasn't something I could make with pieces I'd already cut using her Scrap User's guidelines, that I'd focus on the LotL blocks instead.

I decided it wasn't.

While looking at the picture of the 18 completed blocks, I started to notice quite a few mistakes in the positioning of the 16 small HTSs around the edges (pink), as well as problematic values in contrast (blue).

It would appear there's going to be quite a bit of frogging and resewing just to get the initial blocks squared away, but that's always a good opportunity to churn out additional HTSs between corrections. With 1312 of those little boogers to make, I'll be churning for a while!

This will certainly come into play and I'd need to pair up "only" 164 dark and 164 light 6-3/4" squares to get all the HTSs I need:


However, I also know I'll be frogging these and making some HTSs from them:
These were the two blocks (of the 84 Lakes) that were too dark and non-contrasty to use as a center.

With July's machine cleaned, oiled, and newly-belted (a blog eventually), following lines on squares of fabric will be a good way to test her stitch tension. Once that's sorted, I can work out an accurate 1/4" on her bed. 

Until I feel like cutting, pairing, and drawing lines on those squares, however, I think I'll grab the problematic blocks and my seam ripper. Zoe will forgive my hands being occupied as long as my lap remains warm and soft!

Later: driving back and forth this afternoon for my visit with my mom (giving me time for a quiet think), it finally occurred to me that not all 100 LotL blocks need to be made right away. I can make enough for a twin-sized quilt, which will need sixty-three 10" blocks in a 7x9 setting, or eighty for an 8x10 setting. The remaining 6.5" HTSs can be set aside for another LotL project, or for something else entirely.

2 comments:

  1. The value contrast is not bothersome (adds a little interest) but the mis-piecing definitely needs to be corrected. Suggestion: on-point setting. Hope your 'rumble' doesn't turn into a 'roar.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, on point is definitely in the mix. Once I get a workable number of blocks made, I'll start playing with layouts. There'll be enough for 2 twin or full tops, depending on how they're arranged. In the spirit of Bonnie's L&E challenges, I may take a year to get all the blocks completed.

      A saltine diet for a day put things back aright.

      C

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...