Saturday, December 10, 2022

Hubris revisited

Back in June 2020 I started in on the Hubris quilt, working steadily on its construction until I was called away in August of that year.


After all the quilts I'd recently finished for others had been delivered, this was what 'floated' to the top when I cast about for my "what's next?" project.

At some point in the past 2 years I'd begun quilting the dark appliqued shapes. It wasn't hard to finish those (a simple line down the center of each thin black line, and echo quilting within all the shapes). I have a picture of this quilt on which I'd been doodling quilting ideas for the log cabin blocks, so I filled in the corners and the 1/2 circles with double petals.

 
 I also ran a line of stitching through the middle of the four undulating sections, laying down the stem of the feathers I intended to quilt in those blocks.

The process was quite laborious, as the quilt is large, heavy, and heavily pinned. But I persevered long enough to quilt feathers into one of the short sections, then flang the whole thing onto the floor to reassure myself that the 6' rule still works: what seems glaring at 12" won't be noticeable at 72".

Sure enough!
In this photo, only the bottom "Mickey Mouse" ears have been quilted with feathers.

A better look at the feathers:

The sharp, 3/4-circle inner curves are problematic, but I'm getting better at just filling in the area with curvy shapes. It's the outer feathers that catch the eye, anyway.
 
While on the floor, I measured this beast and got the answer as to why it was so heavy. It measures 6'x8', so that's 96 square feet of fabric (and 48 square feet of batting) I'm wrestling to and fro under the needle!

As of this writing, both short (top and bottom) dark log sections have been entirely quilted, and the inner curves of the longer, side sections have been filled with feathers. It's nice to have the basting pin tin filling up again. Another hour should finish off all the black thread free-motion quilting, but I've got to scoot now and go visit my mother.

3 comments:

  1. The feather quilting looks great. I went back to the initial post and saw that I commented back then. All the seams in the log cabin blocks add to the weight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...