Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Twin Hugs finished

I've uploaded the original photos, without reducing them to a standard 800x600, so this post is data heavy. You can click to see much more detail, however! They measure ~58"x68".

The block makers are: Anna (& Judy), Caroline (& Margaret), Jean, Janet, Terri, Gilly, Stacey, MJ, Carolyn (me), Carla, Marie, Diane, Nann, Arline, Ellie, Phebe, and Katie.

Gregg's:











Mark's:











I found a nice stripe in my stash for the binding, a yard long (which I needed in order to do both quilts). I love binding with stripes. I also had a variegated thread that did a pretty good job of matching that stripe, so I was pleased.


The hugs have been washed in hot water and dried in my dryer (it's old and has only one setting left that works, a medium-ish heat.) I threw color catchers in with each wash--4 for the first quilt, 6 for the second--and they all came out a purple-brown/brownish-purple, or dark mauve. I don't know what was bleeding, but the quilts themselves don't seem any worse for the experience. They're so cuddly now!

Gregg's is being mailed today. Mark's will be delivered tomorrow morning.

As I was taking these pictures, a neighbor paused while walking his dog and asked if I was a quilter. It seems his wife is one too, and is trying to downsize her stash. Would I be interested? I told my son (the hairy-legger holding the quilts) that this is why I haven't needed to buy fabric in years--it finds me!

Edited to add these in answer to Nann's question:

The Sairey strip between each row on the backs was cut from this fabric (3/4" raw, 1/4" finished):

This started out as a "Queen" bottom/fitted sheet (100% cotton) which I bought from GoodWill so my folks would have another sheet in their linen closet. The first time I tried to put it on their mattress, however, I discovered it was square! So it came home with me and was added to my stash. The extra length was perfect for the strips, as I really didn't want to add more bulk by piecing those.

The gray pattern is very subtle in the strips. I hope it's not so subtle that you can't see it in this picture!


8 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous! I don't expect that you or Nann will be paying for your drinks at the next PieFest. At least, I will buy one for each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful! Thank you for your work on both of these and the "hairy leggers" will appreciate them.
    And, I'm with Jean, count on me for a drink or snack on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Is that a skinny white/offwhite/neutral strip between each row of stripes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb work, Carolyn, and Nann too!! Thank you so much for taking these on and carrying them through. No, there's no need for C or N to spring for drinks at the next PieFest. ;-) JanetT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just fabulous how these hug quilts were created with the abundant gift of love and caring. this is a perfect reflection of what quilter Magpies can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've posted as Anonymous, but I'm guessing...Ellie?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...