Friday, April 22, 2022

Past Project

Mary's obsessed with bookshelf quilts, and while I've never made one, they remind me of a "bug (or canning) jar" wallhanging I made for my mother's Christmas gift in 2008. I just happen to have some pictures on my laptop I can share.

Original pattern from which I got some ideas.

I had quite a lot of fun collecting FQs at whatever quilt show I was attending over the years. 

 

Aside from the obvious (or not, depending on what your family's pantry looked like when you were growing up--we were more likely to find jars of nails than jars of candy), I wanted to include five plays on words. I was able to find or create all but one of them, and sending out a request to the Magpies netted the fifth.

Perhaps you can find them. If not, keep reading.

The backs of each shelf made good use of three fabrics I had dyed in a class. It seems I had intended to add more 3D effects with mitered corners,
but I guess I dropped that idea when it came down to creating this thing.

To give a shimmer of glass, I added a layer of netting to all the jars.



 

 

 

For the lids, I used a variety of ribbons (and had some fun with fussy cutting).



The mug holds paintbrushes from a cheap little bag of them. My mother was an artist, so paint supplies were bound to be found anywhere in the house.

I love the backing, and especially the label.



 

Have you found the visual puns?

Can of worms:

Image printed on fabric

Canned music and canned laughter:

Created by writing in all the words on blank fabric


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Time in a bottle:

 

And finally, a nod to one of my favorite scenes from "Paper Moon" in which Trixie Delight (Madeline Kahn) is trying to explain the pun made by the hotel front desk guy about their room which doesn't have a canopy bed, but it does have a fireplace, and how that opens up "a whole new can of peas":

This is the Magpie contribution fabric

1 comment:

  1. I had two of your fabrics, the sliced apples and the one on the left of the second photo. That one surfaced in the scrap basket recently. I've never had the urge to make this or the bookshelf quilt, I am happy to admire those made by others.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...