Monday, February 1, 2021

Border me this, Batman...

 Here's how things were hanging this morning, inspiring me to get that middle border area finished.


Before I started cutting into the medium/light green fabric for the medallion border, it occurred to me to check the Godiva Box of Goodness. That's where my mother put all the flowers and leaves she intends to applique on the vine. Into it I had also tucked all the bits 'n' bobs I found pertaining to this project, the tiny stuff that would get easily lost otherwise.

Well, lookee there! Two long strips cut 1-5/8" wide, and a strip already cut 3/4" wide. When added to the little bit left over from yesterday's border work, I had exactly enough for the medallion.
Final cut.

Lots of bordering, ironing, and fiddling with the inner green corners took up the day and when everything was said and done, there was only 1/8" difference between the medallion outside measurement and the outside border inner measurement. I was a bit surprised--I had assumed there'd be about an inch to fill. But no, it'll end up being a 5/8" strip of something between the two thin green borders.

Now I'm auditioning fabrics. The deep-deep red (which is actually a remnant from my wedding quilt) or the flowery print?


Deep-deep red or merely-deep red (the same as the solid in the 4-patches)?

Or, remove the medallion border altogether and put in a wider strip of the merely-deep red? (I'm not touching the border I sewed down next to the 4-patch diamonds yesterday!)
I tried this idea with some of the flowery fabric and it was an obvious No Go. Too busy.

 I could even fill the gap with more of the light green, but that's not very true to the original plan:


I'm giving my brother a chance to weigh in after this entry is published. I know which way I'm tending, but perhaps a chance to compare all these options together will show me something different to consider. Whatever it ends up, I know it'll be relatively easy to take out and replace if it turns out my mother absolutely hates what I've inserted. All the edges are on the straight-of-grain, and all the lengths equal!

2 comments:

  1. Merely deep, keeping both small green borders, is what I liked all along, and others' opinions have been confirming my instincts. Taking a break from working on it right now--just two more sides to sew down, then it's a matter of hand-sewing the corners down. Easier and faster than trying to figure out how to do it by machine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...