Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Details, details

I used to pride myself on my attention to details, at my firm grasp of numbers and how they never intimidated me, but rather danced for me under my pencil.

*Sigh*

Gonna have to give up that self-image, eventually, based on the continued deluge of contrary experiences!

I turned my attention to the 6" segments this weekend (built out to 8.5" blocks), determined to turn them into a 30" x 50" quilt.
Teal and checkered strips added to the photo so I could use them as fill options in my graphics software.

But no matter how I sliced it (figuratively and literally), I couldn't seem to get enough sashings out of the teal and checkered strips I had on hand.

I played with a woven-sash scenario:

then tried a straight-line version (all done digitally, by the way):
but still couldn't squeeze enough fabric from my flannel-at-hand to make these work. One possibility would be to eliminate a column (the right-most one, as those blocks were the most boring). Another thought was to use navy flannel for the left and right sashes.

Finally, yesterday, I just said to myself, "Self, sew them together without framing each block, and put borders on the result". Well, duh!

And here comes the part where numbers revealed they hadn't been my friends--all the adding and multiplying I had been doing, to determine if I'd have enough flannel for the sashings, was based on 10.5" blocks. These were 8.5" blocks! Had they been framed, as the blocks in the first iteration of this project were, they'd've been 10.5". I had forgotten that little detail in the maths.

So, there might, just might have been enough flannel for one of the settings I was playing with above. But the deed is done, coming in at 29" x 43", and that's good enough for me!
                            

2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better it's next to impossible to find an error in your basic assumptions. The only one I can catch is the one with the seam allowance and that's only because I've made it so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the 2" difference in what I *thought* I was working with vs the actual size of the blocks. That's part of my continual problem, it seems: it's next to impossible [for me] to find an error in my basic assumptions (yet they're there!)

    Thanks for popping in--I always look forward to reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...