Tuesday, July 21, 2020

NQR

I just learned what this means after reading Elaine's blog, then googling "NQR" (Not Quite Right).

Which brings me to my last...


...sorry, I downed a shot during TIFI's 'Corona Virus Briefing' tonight, every time he uttered the phrase "C---- virus", so my vocabulary is swimming against a stream of four shots of Disaronno Amaretto liqueur (we stopped listening when he started taking questions)...ah! interaction...nope...

transaction with a Post Office employee.

I paid for the postage on a heavy envelope, plus a book of "Forever" stamps, with the VISA Debit card we received recently as a result of Congress's stimulus package. The clerk, as he did in a previous transaction, asked "Would you like any cash back?"

I, as I did the previous transaction, answered "No", but then out of curiosity asked, "How much could I get if I said 'yes'?"

"$50.00", was his reply, but after a beat (and as I was turning away) he added, "but we couldn't give it to you."

My face as I turned back to him obviously showed I wanted more information, which he divulged: "We can only give cash back to customers who pay in cash."

I let it go--he's got enough shit to deal with, given who he has as his penultimate boss--but the implications of that Catch-22 kept circling in my brain.

Had I wanted some cash back, I wouldn't get it because it was a transaction done solely with plastic--so why ask if I'd like it?

If I had paid for everything with cash, I'd have no opportunity to draw from the cash-back feature of the debit card, because it never came into play.

I'm SO tempted, next time I'm in the Post Office, to say "Yes" when asked if I'd like cash back. If the response continues to be "I can't", then I'd go to the back of the line, buy something else when I get to the counter, answer "Yes" to the question-that-shouldn't-have-been-asked, and repeat as necessary until someone realizes how stupid the whole situation is! What the fuque else have I to do these days?

6 comments:

  1. Laughing here - I like your explanation of NQR, but I was thinking it was Not Quilt Related! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering what TIFI stands for....😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably a habit of speech built up over the years and the words come out automatically. I apologise to door frames that I walk into, it's an automatic response to the bump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course! Not Quilt Related makes more sense, but so does Not Quite Right in your case. TIFI is an acronym that rhymes with That Impeached Fucking Idiot ("rhymes with" because the words are exactly alike).

    I do enjoy his drinking games, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I jumped over here from Elaine's blog. We don't even try to listen to TIFI anymore. It drives hubs and I crazy. Are you still in Sweet Adelines? Hubs is in semi-local barbershop group and they've continues rehearsals on line for months now. I kind of miss the two groups I sing with but not as much as he does. Quilting is my passion so I can and do still play at it most days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Bonnie!

    Still in Sweet Adelines, yes, but finding it harder and harder to stay engaged with Zoom rehearsals. Hoping we can hang on as a singing entity until a reliable and widely accessible vaccine is available!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...