Sunday, October 6, 2019

I am a Prescriptivist!

Key fob given to me by a chorus member. Friends don't need labels to understand who you really are!
My profile is complete. I was unaware of the term "prescriptivist" until tonight, when a stream-of-consciousness conversation with The Loud lead us in pursuit of what Case, in English, might describe the dropping of an understood verb in a sentence.

In the command "Sit down!", the Subject is dropped and understood to be "You". That's the Imperative Case.

In the statement "I am smarter than he" (or "He is less smart than I"), we were wondering if there was a Case to identify the fact that the final verb has been dropped from the statement, yet still dictates the form of the pronoun remaining ("...he is" [or "...I am"]). When pressed by The Loud as to why I use "he" instead of "him" (or "I" instead of "me"), I could only answer that I use that sentence structure because it is correct, but I couldn't state precisely what Case or rule governed the grammar. That's why we went searching. (The Loud is solidly grounded in Mathematics, and I'm solidly English-based. The fact that we were equally interested in this line of inquiry is remarkable.)

We still have no idea if there's a Case that encompasses this structure, but I am proud to have this addition to my list of personal adjectives. Also, I'm pleased to be bilingual in my proclamation:

Ich bin eine Prescriptivistin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...