Thursday, August 8, 2019

Regrets? I've had a few.

I worked in a fabric store for some time around the turn of the century/millennium, and a 40% employee discount made it very easy to succumb to impulse buying. Three-plus yards of Jinny Beyer's Rose Garden was the result of one of those sprees, and it has been dogging me ever since. I had no plans for it, other than ownership, and have spent years (getting close to decades now) wondering, "Now what?"

Now what? Now this:

The Rail Fence is next up on the agenda/rack, so I spent today making the backing for it. The middle is a 37"x66" (finished) piece of forest-green flannel, which is bordered with Jinny's fabric. Although the 2 pieces technically provided enough square inches, there wasn't enough of Rose Garden to create unpieced borders all the way to the corners. So now there are 4 blue corners, and some Jinny Beyer leftovers stored in the under-one-yard purple fabrics bin.

I'm so very pleased to have this mostly used up! I had hoped to start on the sandwiching this afternoon, but when I smoothed the flimsy on the pinning table I realized I had ample backing to allow for a border around the top. So out came another Jinny Beyer fabric (by coincidence), and now this Rail Fence (behind Sister, on the second-from-bottom dowel)
has a 2" patterned black border.

Nothing more will get done on this tonight. The Fates, and one entirely comfortable cat, have decreed that this be so. Fresh start in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. Had to read the post carefully before I figured out your hanging system. To the stranger's eye it looks like one quilt with some oddly juxtaposed blocks. Flannel and regular fabric together? The Jinny B "blenders" were ubiquitous 20 yrs ago. Too bad they aren't reissued in contemporary colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flannel and regular--once the batting crinkles up from the wash/dry, they all play together nicely. In fact, I figured having the flannel in the center would be cuddlier, since that's what might go against the skin more than the outermost fabrics.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...