Monday, July 8, 2019

On, and off, the Design Wall

The Leader-Ender 2 miscount snafu actually took place in April; near the end of June I had finished the cloverleaf blocks.
Half the blocks.
This was a 2-part exercise: deciding whether a fabric was a light-medium or a dark-medium, and then sticking with that decision without regret or recrimination (that was the hardest part!)

When viewed in grey tones, it's much easier to tell what reads as light/dark:

The pink bar thingy I have, which one is supposed to look through to cancel colors and give this kind of effect, wasn't as effective as I would've liked. Also, my camera doesn't have a B&W setting (that I can find, anyway) to give me immediate feedback.

Still, the 'decide and don't look back' part of the exercise (and clearing out all these 'what values ARE they?' fabrics from the 3.5" bin) was the main goal of my personal growth plan. To set the blocks, I pulled all the yellow-family strips and squares from the bin for posts and sashing (ignoring the inner voice that screamed, "that one's too dark!")
Undergoing a CAT scan.
Two more "I'm so sick of these" fabrics were finally used up to border this.
90" x 114"
Once finished, this will be donated. I sincerely hope the recipient doesn't think, "Boy, I'll bet someone was happy to be rid of all these fabrics!"

Normally, once I've made a pattern from my 'gotta try this' folder, I delete it. This one, though, I'd like to make again with my batiks, with more careful attention to values.

Also, going forward, when I'm in doubt about a value of a fabric (those darn mediums!), I'll take a shot of it against my grey cutting mat and upload it to the computer right at my fingertips in the sewing room. From there I can convert it to grey tones and make my decision on the spot.





Happy 100th blog post to me!

1 comment:

  1. I believe that that block is known as Bright Hopes -- of which you had a few as you searched for, and located, the missing pieces. The scrappy border works very well. Now, how much more "sick" fabric do you have?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...