Thursday, December 6, 2018

CA-bound #3: Squares

Quilt #3 sent to Robert Kaufman for the #quiltsforCA drive:
65" x 88"
I eked out every last bit of the blue fabric, piecing one of the edge triangles to finish the top.

Two boxes of sorted 2" squares contain my go-to leader-enders. Medium-hued and novelty fabrics make me fret when trying to decide whether they 'should' be paired with light or dark fabrics (for clear contrast in value), so I was happy to have a project in which I could pair the squares with impunity. The outer border was created from my stash of 1.5" strips and squares.

The flimsy version of this has been hanging around for probably over 2 years. Evidence of that is in this photo of my "to quilt" rack, dated 3/2017:


The flannel back:
Fun, huh?
Once sandwiched and under the needle, I decided on straight lines through the body,
with pebbles/bubbles filling the red border as I traveled to the starting point of the next straight line of quilting (less starting and stopping that way). What a maroon! It didn't take me long to realize I really don't like quilting pebbles/bubbles.
These don't look awful, but it was not relaxing in the slightest. Fortunately, I started this ill-conceived notion in one of the short borders. As soon as I pebbled both short borders, I switched to a much faster and easier pattern of leaves for the long borders:
I went pretty simple with the outer borders too. I could've basted 1/4" from the edge to give myself something to eyeball as I merrily looped away, but I didn't and the bottom loops were truncated by the binding. I don't think the recipient will care, do you?

The labeling was subtle, tucked into 3 corners:



Update 7 December:
This quilt can be seen in the pile of quilts getting ready to be delivered:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...