Sunday, July 10, 2022

Satisfying Sunday

These have been slowly growing, to the point where Dad's/Mom's top has been taken down and stored on the quilting table (within sight, ever guilt-inducing) so I can enjoy the secondary pattern when the completed (12" raw) blocks are trimmed. There will be 48 blocks total, set 6x8.


I long ago used up all my medium and dark strings, so I set my sights on the 1.5" strips, then rummaged through my 2.5" bin for long strips and used those up (cut in 1/2), and now I'm pillaging my 3.5" drawer for long strips, cutting them into 1-1/8", 1-1/8", and 1-1/4" strips. I've also cleared mediums and darks from my little drawers of chunks (smaller than a FQ, but too large to cut into Scrap User System sizes just yet). My little stash of novelty fabrics will probably be plowed through next to get this project finished up.

As cute as this is turning out, I'm not going to be collecting crumbs any longer. I wasn't one to get all excited about creating fabric from itty-bitty scraps before, and (surprise, surprise) I'm still not that one. I've got a use/plan for scraps that are 1"x2.5" or larger, and I know the smallest triangle I can cut and get some use from (usually sewn into a HTS and made into a 2" pinwheel block), so anything that doesn't produce one of those pieces is truly Too Small to Keep. (And just to make sure, I run over it a couple of times with my rotary cutter so I'm not tempted to pull it out of the trash!)

Last month I bought more muslin for this project, and dithered about how much would be enough or too much, then finally settled on a nice median amount. Then, after it was cut, I discovered the fabric was 90" wide. I was sure I'd be swimming in the stuff for years to come, but as I near the end I'm wondering if I'll have to go buy more!

What's made today so satisfying is the completion (or at least forward motion) of several non-sewing projects, so I'm too bushed to want to sew much tonight. Here's another reminder of what started all this in the first place:
Film in the Fridge website, "Converging Corners"

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...