Friday, August 9, 2019

Basting tools

As promised, I started first thing this morning on pin-basting this, finishing at 5 this afternoon.

I really didn't think it would take all day, but it did! I finally had sense enough to put a thimble on my pushing (middle) finger, but it and my thumb are really worn out now.

I just wanted to mention two final "tools" that make table basting successful for me. Surface protection is a must if you're working on wood, so I always make sure to lay down these 6 pieces of cardboard:
This spans the length of the table--the other 2 pieces are hidden under the fabric.
The other "tool" is simple too--a thread catcher! It's amazing how many 'whiskers' you can find and pull out or snip off when you're basting, and having someplace close at hand to deposit them is quite a time saver.
I think this held straight pins, once upon a time.
This plastic container lives in the tin with the binder clips, ready for action as soon as I start the basting process.

Now my hands and I are going to indulge in a quiet night of nothing more strenuous than lifting a glass of wine to my lips. Fortunately, I'm ambidextrous when it comes to that particular skill set, because my right hand is shot!

2 comments:

  1. You may recall that Sarah refers to one, two, or three-beer quilts depending on how long it takes to baste them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the days when she was 1) drinking beer, and 2) crawling around on the floor to baste those quilts!

      I baste these days with one eye on the clock: "Is it time yet to pour a glass of wine?"

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...