Saturday, January 5, 2019

Design wall: Sister

The upholstery fabric I used in CA quilts 6 and 7 has another colorway--burgundy.

I've got tons of those 11"x12" rectangles, plus a good-sized length, so using this up is my next project. As it turns out, only a portion of the rectangles will be used, but at least it's a start.

I came across a free pattern called "Sofa Siesta" which seemed a good choice for highlighting and complementing a focus fabric such as this. From my Not-100%-cotton (n1c), 'bored with this', and flannel scraps stashes I pulled this:
I've got lots of that grey, so I'm making binding of it.

Obviously not enough. One of the light colors in the upholstery fabric can read as grey or blue or blue-grey, so that's why I added the roll of 1" blue (a found-and-donated "treasure" from a friend).

To bump up the options, I added these as possibilities:

Finally, a large hunk of polished taupe fabric (another found-and-donated treasure) was used to frame the 5" squares to which 8 of the rectangles were trimmed/cut down, giving me 32 of these:
most of which fit on the design wall:
To these were added 9"x10" rectangles of strips:
It's been a challenge getting the wall filled in, because QI Zoe will "help" with the trimming! We have an ongoing game of "keep away". When she parks herself on the cutting table, I sew a few more strips to the rectangles-in-progress.
When she sets herself up in the strip bin and starts "playing the cello", I move back to the cutting table and trim more blocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...