Thursday, May 11, 2023

Vet quilt

The leader of the Community First! Quilters mentioned at the last meeting that she was collecting quilts for Vets and still needed 7 or 8 to meet her goal of 15. With Pink up and running and still no legs for my new mid-arm quilting machine, I decided to pull all the patriotic blocks from the second POUT drawer and see what I could create from those in my spare sewing time. 

There were only 7 large (or large-ish) blocks ready to go.


I could create three large 9-patches using squares from the 5" bundle.

I'd originally thought of random placements of all the blocks over a 60"x80" area, filling in as needed with smaller blocks of 4-patches, or flying geese, or whatever struck my fancy. I didn't think on it too long--even in my imagination it was too busy.

Instead, I decided to flesh out all the blocks to a uniform 20" square, finished, for that 60"x80" quilt (within CF!'s guidelines for a lap/throw), and it didn't take long to get this set up on my computer:


This morning I played around with filler fabrics, most of which were already bundled with the blocks.


It turned out to be easiest to audition the various blocks on the actual fabrics (due to scale of print and real life brightness/contrast), then make note of my decisions using the computer.

There still remains four 10"x20" segments to create for each corner, and I'll probably do the same design for each, whatever that turns out to be. I might make more of those little paper-pieced blocks (seen in the first picture, bottom). Then again....

2 comments:

  1. You're putting those orphans to good use! The frames set the blocks off from one another nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've given me an idea for a supplemental post to this, and just how orphaned these blocks were. Spending today making flying geese and hope to get this into a flimsy by dinnertime tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...