Friday, October 4, 2019

QAYG layout

Thursday last I had the day and evening to myself (all-day classes keeping The Loud out of the house and busy teaching), so I had the luxury of trimming up the 99 QAYG blocks on the dining room table (bar height and bigger than my usual cutting area, so it's more comfortable) and planning a layout.
See the light blob in the upper right quadrant? He's planning mischief!
I decided to group the prints to make whole squares, and let the flannel/fleece side of these blocks fall where they may.

Wraith helped.

He'd dart out, pounce on a block and kangaroo-kick it into submission before racing back. What a clown he can be!

Despite all the help, this finally happened:
              Where I could, I also grouped the same fabrics in the ^^^ center of the strip squares.

I'll be joining these by butting the edges and covering them with strips of b&w fabrics (video here).

For the joining strips I'm using this b&w as far as I can (it was a 100% cotton shirt bought from Goodwill/op-shop, but it was a "trim" style [not mentioned on any label] and never fit comfortably).

The shirt pieces too small to provide 9.5" lengths have been set aside for another project I'll be starting soon.

They really are both black and white, not navy as the camera suggests, although the slash fabric is a blue-cast black.
Fortunately, I've got these two b&w fabrics that'll supplement the shirt fabric nicely--2.5" x 9.5" x 8 (blocks) x 11 (rows) is what's needed simply to join 9 blocks into 11 rows (pulling up the calculator: that alone takes about 1-1/3 yards). After that I'll be needing 10 long strips to join those rows together. This thing is going to be a monster--roughly 86"x105".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...