Saturday, April 6, 2019

More tags


Washing dishes this morning while my coffee brewed (as is my routine), it felt as though I had something stuck to my palm. On closer examination, I noticed this bump action going on:

Very odd! Most of the questions words ran through my head: What? When? Where? How? Huh? Then, as the coffee maker gurgled its last drops of water through the machinery and I reached to pat the top several times (to knock the condensation on the sides of the reservoir to the bottom), it was obvious. Apparently I was a little too enthusiastic with my "patting" yesterday!

Got more tags completed this week! These are for my Sweet Adelines quartet "AH!HA". I've traditionally made gifts for us in this color palette of batiks. I love the backing batik--flip-flops, vacation, travel: it's all summed up in a luggage tag!
It's the purple one throwing the pattern off
Made one for myself while I was at it (the green one)
The more Hunter's Stars I made, the more in love I fell with this pattern. Anyone making this for a large-scale project needs to pay attention to color placement. The purple tag was made with an opposite placement of purple/neutral, and you can see how it messes up the overall pattern when placed with the other three.

I like to give Austin Harmony quartets a gift every year at Competition time, but all I had to give last month were promises. Next weekend I can make the promise a reality. At Competition I picked up two sets of glass tumblers with gold lettering reading "Lovely Lead" "Brilliant Baritone" "Beautiful Bass" "Terrific Tenor", so the appropriate tumbler has been wrapped up with each luggage tag for delivery at our/AH!HA's rehearsal on Saturday.

"Mental Notes" will be getting the other set of tumblers, accompanied by these:

Their gifts from me have traditionally been from black/white/grey fabrics.

Just one more pair of tags to go (for the only chorus member--a Baritone--who was unable to join us in Houston for Competition last month) and that'll be a wrap. I'm working on her QR code now. Every time I create one of these, I think about my mother. She told me she was taught to make the back of embroidery and cross-stitching as nice and neat as the front:
I think her 'instructor' (her mother?) would approve!

2 comments:

  1. I have looked at weaving a QR code but couldn't think of anything I needed to say that was worth that much hand work. Clearly I am a massive slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The project that put this idea in my head in the first place (years ago) said, "Home Sweet Home". It helps that there are so many catch phrases in Sweet Adelines, and we have a director with his own unique way of describing us. I had to start scaling back on what I wanted to include, as the more letters there are, the more black squares are generated. My messages ranged from 29x29 to 33x33 grids. Thanks for dropping in, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...