Friday, January 27, 2017

UFOs

Back in December 2015 I gave myself permission to say "No" to any long-term projects (in which I was not already involved as of 12/31/2015) until 1 January, 2020. One of my intentions for this "Just say 'No'" period was to unearth and finish UFOs.

Today I took the day off work so I could be hubby's chauffeur to and from a medical procedure involving dye injected into his spinal column and lots of pain meds. I was told I'd have a 5 hour wait, so I grabbed my current hand-sewing project (a UFO started over 17 years ago) and a big, heavy canvas bag containing miscellaneous yarns (some bought by me over the decades, some given to me by a fellow Austin Harmony chorus member) and knitting books/patterns/needles/tools. My idea was to start using up the yarn by making lacy shawls. I figured that if I finished one in the waiting room, I'd leave it there for someone who needed the warmth or comfort it might bring. Those 5 hours of enforced "inactivity" loomed large in my mind, and I was scurrying to find enough time-fillers for a week-long retreat!

My hand-sewing was finished up with just 20 minutes left of my wait time, so once we were home (due to the time of day, the 25 mile drive took over 90 minutes), hubby settled on the couch, dinner shopped for and served, I decided I'd explore the contents of that untouched big ol' bag of knitting. Books, folders, patterns, needles: no big surprise there. I remembered all those (some I had tucked in the bag last night). But then I pulled out a plastic bag containing this:
I can't pinpoint the year I started this, but the little boy for whom I was making it will turn 33 this year. It's a top-down raglan sweater pattern done on circular and double-point needles (no seams, yay!!!), which I now intend to finish and give to whatever grandchild comes along first.

On one of the miscellaneous pages of notes in the bag with this sweater, I found the following scrawled in one corner:

"Dick Buttons is:
A) a former Olympic skater
B) an ABC (NBC?) sports commentator
C) what doctors used on John Bobbitt"

So tacky.





I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...