Monday, January 6, 2020

I Would Walk 500 Miles and I Would Walk 500 More...

About a month ago, a thin silver piece landed on the fabric I was sewing. My first thought was that the needle had broken, but without the usual accompanying sound and fury. But no, a turn of the handwheel showed a perfectly intact needle.

That little piece was set aside (to determine later if it was metal or plastic) and I hoped that it wouldn't prove to be crucial to the operation of my hard-working Brother/Nouvelle 1500.

Then a couple of weeks later, the piece showed up on my work again! Had another section of the machine broken loose? Had I inadvertently swept up the first piece while twisting and turning the Behemoth on the sewing table? The piece was set aside, again, and sewing continued.

Finally, last week, a third piece landed at my fingertips while applying the binding on the Behemoth and all things became clear:
The walking foot had been slowly falling apart over the weeks and finally gave up the ghost. It put in years and miles of faithful duty. Nevertheless, I was glad to have a spare on hand so I could replace it immediately and get on with my project!

3 comments:

  1. For twenty years I sewed on a Pfaff with "integrated dual feed," a fancy term for built-in walking foot. I've used the walking foot on my now 2-year-old Janome for several projects and it's not daunting. And I think I have figured out how to make buttonholes. Once I've got the hang of those it's on to zippers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Good for you to have a replacement walking foot right at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I bought the Nouvelle from "Jane in Austin" (a woman well known on a machine quilting Yahoo group), and with it came a virtual TON of extra parts. The boatload of bobbins and the extra bobbin case was put into use immediately; this was first I've had to replace a complicated attachment and it was so nice to put my hands on it immediately.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...