Monday, March 19, 2018

Garage redux/redo, Part 1


When last we left our intrepid explorer, she was staring at a partially empty garage:
It hadn't always been so. In fact, the intervening years had not been kind. At some point I had taken a 270° series of shots so I could make plans in my comfy recliner of how I was going to fix this increasingly-unworkable room.

Shelves, cabinets, and pegboards abounded, but they only seemed to add surfaces on which to dump more crap.

Also, a long-term project was encroaching on all available storage space. Boxes of cords and wires, as well as broken equipment, queued up to be stripped and disassembled for parts and recyclable metals.

Broken equipment and boxes of parts were shoved into every available nook and cranny, no matter how inconvenient. Unused space under a table saw? Perfect! I wasn't hoarding this; I had a plan and intent of stripping down everything, but neither the space nor the time in which to do the job in a timely manner.

In March 2017 I quit my full-time job, so that helped with the time issue. I devoted much of the Spring and Summer to dismantling the equipment collected in the garage (and dining room, and master bedroom, and guest room, music room, sewing room, office, living room...), using the dining table as my work bench (well-protected with 2 layers of rotary cutting mats and a triple layer of towelling). It wasn't ideal, but any progress was better than none! (The metals stripped from the broken equipment are sold to a metal recycling center, the usable parts saved are sold on ebay or Craigslist, and the proceeds go to my local Sweet Adelines [a non-profit organization] chorus.)

The real catalyst came at the end of September, when we thought we'd need the left wall cleared for installation of the solar battery. I was in Oregon for most of that month, helping my folks recover from various hands Life dealt them, so it was up to Hubby to do the literal heavy lifting on this project.

Everything was moved to the right side of the garage (with my blessings, seeing as that's where my car is usually parked), and the gray 7' cabinet was also moved off the step and onto the garage floor (not exceptionally well--none of the many shelves were emptied prior to shoving it off the step, and gravity had its way with the contents. The back panel was also mostly torn off in the process, leaving the whole piece structurally fragile.) (I just realized I said this in the original post--ya think I have issues about it?) (Is there some way to be paid by the parentheses?)

Next installment: in which (Mostly) Everything Goes Back.

2 comments:

  1. We've lived in this house since 1991 and the garage is well packed, there's been no chance of getting a car in there for years. I have a five year plan for sorting it out, hopefully it won't take that long but who knows? I look forward to your next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline! How great to "see" you on my blog!! I hope to meet you in person someday, at one of the 'Pie Fests.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...