Sunday, December 31, 2017

Wash on Monday

The Magpies like to remind each other every New Year's Eve to refrain from doing the laundry on New Year's Day, lest ye be doomed to repeat that action all year 'round.

Every January 1st prior to this one, I've ignored that superstition and proceeded to do whatever I felt like or needed to do that day, wholly cognizant of the fact that the calendar is a man-made artifact, signifying nothing. But tomorrow, I will deliberately do laundry.

In so doing, I will be grateful for another year of:

Having a working washing machine for my use at any time of any day or night, as suits me and my schedule.

Having enough clothing and linens that I can be clothed and dry while a load of laundry is being done.

Soap that is plentiful and inexpensive.

Clean, running water.

Ample and dependable electricity.

A home that contains it all.


Sometimes, something as fickle as an old wire in an old refrigerator, or one drop of rain too many too soon after the last deluge, can rip these luxuries out of one's life.

Tomorrow, I will deliberately do laundry, and be grateful for the privileges I now enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. ...don’t know about that superstition, but I don’t wash clothes on holidays. It’s a holiday, so I don’t do laundry. Indeed, grateful for the whole laundry set-up & supplies. And enough clothes to see me thru’ at least 2 days. Happy New Year, Sweetie. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. With modern conveniences laundry isn't a chore (and with two people in the house there's not a lot of laundry anyway). But I listened to Sarah and waited until today to do that load of wash. Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...